Veronica's Law of Attraction Forum - veronicaislescoaching.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/21/2017 1:55 am  #1

How to get over expectations?

This is not a relationship question. As I type this, I find myself really alone pushing away all my relationships/friendships as I feel constantly feel that all my friendships right now are very superficial. I value my friendships but somehow the people I am meeting are very selfish or just be with me for convenience. Is it me who is at fault for having expectations or am I right? For eg I recently made a friend who I would like to get to know better but the only time he talks to me is when he needs a study buddy. I tried to talk to him but there was no change. Another friend who claims to be my best friend doesnt feel the need to catch up because she is busy. Since she is the centre of attraction for everyone, people stick to her schedule only. I recently had a fight with both these people for the same reason. And these are just 2 people, everyone I know seems to be this way. What do I do? I feel like I cannot rely on anybody in my life right now.Β 

12/21/2017 4:39 am  #2

Re: How to get over expectations?

DMR wrote:

I feel like I cannot rely on anybody in my life right now.Β 

I love this last sentence, because it's like a shortcut of your whole post. What I especially like about it is that you used the word FEEL. The Law is all about feeling something to be real. And your consciousness outpictures beautifully what you feel to be real.

I wouldn't use the word expectation how you used it here. I know that it's usual to use it that way, but it isn't very useful in a LoA context and I will tell you why. What you call expectations are really desires. You want them to behave a certain way, right? And as you probably know, you can't get over a desire. You can suppress it, but it's still there. You can settle for superficial relationships, but that doesn't make your desire for deep relationships disappear. The good news is, you don't have to settle. The only thing you have to get over are really your expectations. What are your expectations? You just told us. You expect your relationships to be superficial. You expect your friends to be selfish. You expect your best friend to be busy. You expect everyone you know to be that way. You expect people letting you down. That are the expectations that you have to get over.

There is something interesting I noticed many of us (me included) do. We tend to generalize from our experience. Let me give an example. A friend is late for whatever reason. The next time you meet this friend, you expect them to be late or at least think that there is a higher possibility than before. By expecting that, you will have a friend now who is always late. Sometimes, even one time someone doing something or something happening is enough to make us believe something about them/a situation, but it's mostly negative. Now the other way around: you meet a guy, you fall for him and he makes it very clear that he likes you. But you (at least when you are like me) still doubt it. Maybe you have misinterpreted his words? Maybe he was just friendly? See what happens here? Even though we have evidence of something positive, we try to deny it often. I only gave you that two examples to show you how easy it is to make negative assumptions and how irrational we are sometimes, because if we would approach this logical, we wouldn't react in both situations in complete opposite directions.
So, long story short: change your assumptions and your world changes. It is not about them, it's about you and what you believe about them. You don't need to look for new friends. You can of course, but a change of mind regarding the friends you have is enough. Let us know, when things change between you and your friends. I am sure it will be soon, when you see them in a different light.

"Self-abandonment. That is the secret. We have to abandon ourselves to the state, in our love for the state, and in so doing live the life of the state and no more our present state. And to make the state alive, one must become it."

Neville Goddard ~ The Law and the Promise

12/21/2017 3:12 pm  #3

I get what you are saying. It's hard to change someone's perceptions in your mind for me you know. For me now it's a deep down thought that at some point this person will let me down. What is wrong with me, why do I think like that? And yes we have expectations but isnt it natural to have those too?
I agree with you, I just want to know why I keep doing this to myself. And will I really find genuine people and not settle?
I also agree with you on the part where if someone comes to me and says they like me, I go on thinking 'Well they wouldnt like me if they knew this about me or that or if I show this side of me'. Is it normal to think that? Or am I being too paranoid

12/21/2017 4:21 pm  #4

DMR wrote:

I get what you are saying. It's hard to change someone's perceptions in your mind for me you know. For me now it's a deep down thought that at some point this person will let me down. What is wrong with me, why do I think like that? And yes we have expectations but isnt it natural to have those too?
I agree with you, I just want to know why I keep doing this to myself. And will I really find genuine people and not settle?
I also agree with you on the part where if someone comes to me and says they like me, I go on thinking 'Well they wouldnt like me if they knew this about me or that or if I show this side of me'. Is it normal to think that? Or am I being too paranoid

It's our programming. And it's hard to change your perception, because there are already deep routed beliefs. Nobody taught us to change beliefs. There was no "awesome life science" in school. Nothing is wrong with you. There can't be anything wrong with you, because you are consciousness and that's it. Everything else you believe and see in your world is a mask that you put on. You can wear a mask that you don't like and look in the mirror and think you are ugly, but the truth is that you are behind the mask and that you are the creator of the mask. So nothing to do with you. Is it natural to have expectations? Well, it depends on how you define natural. The funny thing about expecting things of others is that it is more like "You should act like this, but I didn't expect you to act how you should anyway". Very recent example from an hour ago: I met a friend. She was invited to my birthday last Sunday, but she couldn't make it. I didn't got a text on Sunday. Today, I thought "She should wish me a belated happy birthday, because I even invited her and she should remember". That's what you call expectation. But what I really expected, what I felt more likely, was that she would forget it, because my assumption about her is that I am not important to her. See what I did here? That's why I made the distinction between wishing someone to act a certain way and expecting someone to act a certain way. What you call expectation is really wishing. But what is important, that what manifests in the end is that what I call expectation. And of course she forgot it. She had no other choice. Yeah, it kinda hurts, but I know that she could not act any other way. I hold her in that place with my mind, with my assumptions about her.

Will you find genuine people? Well, that depends on you. You always have to change yourself before your world can change. So, you will find genuine people, if you make the effort to change your beliefs, to change who you are now. You won't find them, if you stay where you are in consciousness.

Again, I can't tell you, if it's normal to think that way. It's your programming. If you grew up somewhere else, you would believe different things about you. But it isn't really relevant, if it's normal. What is relevant is that it isn't serving you and that you can change it. The question should be: Is it what you want? And if not, find a way that works for you to change it.

"Self-abandonment. That is the secret. We have to abandon ourselves to the state, in our love for the state, and in so doing live the life of the state and no more our present state. And to make the state alive, one must become it."

Neville Goddard ~ The Law and the Promise

Board footera